Thursday, May 15, 2008

Reflections on CHANGE

Change is such a transparent, mysterious word that I wouldn’t want to define because, by defining it I am trying to understand and grasp it, which is impossible for me to do. Sometimes I find that when I try to define something it takes away its full meaning, because I am reducing it to a few words on a piece of paper. Words don’t define “change”, actions and life and experiences do. If someone were to ask me to define change, I would answer, “it is something only you can experience for yourself, don’t try to define it just experience it and reflect on it because it will happen no matter how hard you try to stop it. All you can do is attempt to lead change into a positive direction and for the benefit of yourself and for other people.’

I just searched the internet and seriously every quote I read was worthwhile, and these are just a few that stood out in my mind. They all seem to grasp change, none of them try to challenge it or alter it, they just accept it for what it is.

Alan Cohen:
It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power.


Anais Nin:
Life is a process of becoming, a combination of states we have to go through. Where people fail is that they wish to elect a state and remain in it. This is a kind of death.

Arthur Schopenhauer:
Change alone is eternal, perpetual, immortal.

Charles Dubois:
The important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we could become.

Henri Bergson:
To exist is to change, to change is to mature, to mature is to go on creating oneself endlessly

No comments: